Developmental screenings provide valuable information in the following areas of development:
- Problem Solving
- Personal/Social-Emotional Development
- Motor (large and small muscles)
- Vision and Hearing Screening
Francis Howell School District offers free developmental screenings to children three years of age to Kindergarten entry level. Children may be screened once per year between the age of 3 years to Kindergarten entry. It is strongly recommended that all incoming students undergo a developmental screening the year prior to Kindergarten entry, in addition to any screenings coordinated by your child’s future elementary school.
What to expect at your child’s developmental screening:
- Developmental screenings for children age 3 to Kindergarten entry level are completed in 60-90 minutes at the Parents as Teachers Family Education Center (1400 Gettysburg Landing, St. Charles).
- Screeners are trained in working with children within this age range.
- Information will be shared with the parent at the time of the screening. If screening results indicate that some help is needed, activity suggestions and/or resource options for further evaluation will be shared.
- To minimize distractions, parents are encouraged to remain in the waiting area while their child is being screened. Parents may join their child during the screening if the child is having difficulty separating. However, parents who bring other children will be asked to wait with their children in the area provided.
- Prepare your child to help them feel comfortable by telling them they will be playing games, to try their best, and have fun.
- Make sure your child is well rested.
- Have your child wear tennis shoes or rubber-soled shoes.
- Appointments are required. Check back frequently for appointment availability as new dates are posted often.
- If you would like to schedule more than one child for screening at the same time, call the office at (636) 851-6060.
- After booking your screening appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with fillable PDF forms that must be completed prior to your child’s screening. If you do not receive a confirmation, please check your junk/spam folder.
Screenings for younger children (ages 3 months to 3 years)
The District’s Parents as Teachers program offers early developmental screenings for children ages 3 months through 3 years of age. This screening consists of the Ages and Stages Questionnaire and a health, hearing and vision assessment. Contact the PAT office at 636-851-6060 to schedule an early developmental screening for children ages 3 months to 3 years. Learn more about the Parents as Teachers program.